Sunday, November 14, 2010

Math TV

I'll admit it--I used this website, http://www.mathtv.com/, frequently in the classroom.  There's an amazing amount of work here that's been done not only creating individual videos aligned to specific topics AND specific question types...but also to create multiple solutions!  It's one of the things I love about math--while there may be a "standard process," there's almost always more than one correct way to solve a problem.  And by showing multiple solution strategies to students--that come from somewhere other than just me--I can help to highlight that facet of mathematics for them.  True, it often leads to someone someday using it as justification for an incorrect solution or one that only works by happenstance...but that just lets me discuss the difference between "multiple correct solutions" and "every solution is correct."  Ah, the nuances of mathematics!  I had a few students enjoy this website so much that they wanted to create their own version--unfortunately something that never quite took off--and others who developed favorite video creators who they'd try to find anytime they needed help.  While it wasn't always the first way I showed a student how to do something mathematically, this has been a fabulous resource for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment